Each year the Epilepsy Association recognizes a client that has made significant progress in their goals related to their epilepsy and mental health. Selecting the client of the year is a difficult process as we are so proud of all of the individuals that we serve. This year Julia Clouden- Jones was selected as the Epilepsy Association’s Client of the Year.
Think back and reflect on your own life. What have you accomplished in the last 19 months? Did you lose that 15 pounds? Get a new job? Clean out that closet that has been collecting all of the odds and ends in your home?
In the last 19 months there have been 2 holiday seasons, 2 spring break weeks, 1 tax season, and of course who could forget , 1 NBA Championship win!
The last 19 months for Julia have been quite the adventure. When Julia came to the Epilepsy Association she was homeless, in an unhealthy relationship, had uncontrolled seizures that were epileptic as well as non-epileptic, did not have health insurance, and was desperate for help. She wanted to stand on her own two feet, and needed some help. Julia was eager to begin services and once she did she moved along so quickly. Throughout her time as a client in the Adult Case Management Program Julia was able to completely turn her life around.
In the last 19 months Julia was able to:
- End her relationship and move forward
- obtain and maintain health insurance
- obtain and maintain disability benefits
- engage in counseling
- obtain and maintain her own apartment
- engage with a neurologist who informed her that she was candidate for epilepsy surgery
- had a successful epilepsy surgery which significantly reduced the frequency and severity of her seizures
- Due to her counseling and other positive changes in her life her non-epileptic events are no longer occurring
- increase her self esteem
- improve relationships with family members
Julia is a true inspiration! On June 16th, 2016 Julia was awarded the 2016 Client of the Year Award. She humbly accepted her award and spoke at the Annual Meeting about the impact that the Epilepsy Association has had on her life. Tears filled the eyes of the audience members as they witnessed this amazing example of strength and perseverance.
Julia continues to surpass all of her goals and sets new ones for herself. We look forward to seeing where her journey takes her as we know it will be a beautiful ride.